Posted March 09, 2019 07:12:50Bus boycott campaigners are calling for bus companies to stop charging passengers for their journeys.
The Queensland Government has promised to scrap the bus boycott after a Queensland Chamber of Commerce survey showed more than 60 per cent of the public want the government to scrap it.
“We’ve been able to demonstrate to our members that when people are able to stop paying their fares and pay for the bus, that there’s less demand for the buses, and that’s the real value to us,” Queensland Chamber chief executive James Mabey said.
Queensland Chamber of Business president Michael Pinto said the poll showed the public wanted the government “to stop charging fares for the public transport.”
“This is the perfect example of why we have to pay the bus company for our trips, that’s why we’ve been campaigning for it,” Mr Pinto told ABC News Breakfast.
He said the public’s perception of the bus boycotters was “so negative” and it was important the Government “keep it that way”.
Mr Pinto urged Queenslanders to not “pursue a boycott of our bus companies” and instead “work together to create a better, fairer and more equitable system”.
Queenas Chamber of Government president Michael Mabsey said Queenslanders were looking to avoid paying for buses.
Mr Mabesons report showed the majority of Queenslanders want the Government to scrap bus boycotts.
While the poll suggested a majority of the Queensland electorate wanted the Government not to charge fares, the survey also found Queenslanders believed it was a better use of taxpayers money.
A poll conducted by the Queensland Chamber showed 79 per cent believed the Government should scrap bus boycott.
However, Mr Pinesons survey also revealed 58 per cent Queenslanders did not think the Government had enough money for public transport.
In response to the poll, the Queensland Government said the Government has “every intention of working with our members to find a solution to this issue”.
“The Queensland Chamber is proud to be a part of the community of bus operators who are fighting for Queenslanders’ right to get around safely and efficiently,” the Queensland Department of Transport said in a statement.
But Mr Mabys survey suggested more than 80 per cent did not support scrapping bus boycotting.
More than half of the survey respondents did not believe the Government needed more money for road improvements.
Earlier this week, Mr MAbyss report also showed Queenslanders wanted the Federal Government to lift the ban on buses, which has been in place since 1993.
According to the Queensland Chambers, almost three quarters of Queensland’s residents have signed up to the boycott.
The Queensland Federation of Bus Operators (QBFOR) said it is working to find an agreement with the Government on a road and rail transport funding.
Topics:public-sector,business-economics-and-finance,business,government-and/or-politics,government,buses,government—state-issues,parliament,government–state-parties,qld,australiaMore stories from Queensland